Re: private so provides filtering...

On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 5:41 AM, Iain Arnell <iarnell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 9:39 AM, Chris Weyl <cweyl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> http://fedorapeople.org/~cweyl/macros.perl
[snip]
> If the macros look sane, I'll open a RFE bug against the perl package to ask
> that it be bundled and delivered as /etc/rpm/macros.perl.

Wonderful. Certainly looks sane and appears to be working as expected.

Good.  RPM macros always hurt my brain a little bit :)

Would also be sensible to update the specfile templates in rpmdevtools
and cpanspec (and others?) to include this by default. And presumably
packages relying on this would also need something along the lines of
BuildRequires: config(perl).

A couple things work in our favour here.  If we use the core perl package to deliver the macros to /etc/rpm/macros.perl, then for any other perl package we build we're covered.  If a non-perl package wants to use it, then they're covered as well: either by requiring perl explicitly or simply relying on perl always being in the buildroot (which it is).

So, once the new macro file is out there we'll be able to use them anywhere without needing to explicitly require anything new...  Though a conditional invokation is probably best for a while.  If other packages start to use them widescale, that will give us leverage to have them included in the rpm package.

                                     -Chris
--
Chris Weyl
Ex astris, scientia