Re: "perl development" comps.xml group?

Marcela Maslanova wrote:
On 04/10/2009 01:28 AM, Chris Weyl wrote:
Hey all --

We're starting to have a greater number of packages geared towards Perl
development...  Given that it'd be nice to have them all easily presented
for those so inclined, I thought it might be nice to have a "Perl
Development" comps.xml group.  There's precedent for this (e.g.
java-development, kde/gnome/x/web-software-development), and we do have a
number of packages that lend themselves nicely:

perl-core
git-cpan
cpan-upload
perltidy
perl-Task-Catalyst
vim-perl-support
etc...

I don't think it would make sense to try to include all the 1,000+ perl-*
packages out there; this group could be used to highlight the "upper level"
stuff while those so inclined could still do a "yum install 'perl-*'".

Thoughts?
I am not excited about this plan, because I feel there is no "common subset" of package which is general enough to be used as "devel group" in comps - I feel much of what you say above is based on your personal individual demands.

E.g. the list you provide above isn't even close to what I use for perl-development. I think these are likely what you use for your individual purposes.

But creating group in comps sounds better. Which packages do you want to include? Maybe choose the best rated from cpan?
I am very much opposed to doing this. Let's treat perl packages like all others and let keep dependencies as minimal as posible and do not try to add further dependency bloat through comps.

Ralf

--
Fedora Extras Perl SIG
http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/SIGs/Perl