Re: More on perl for F7

On 5/16/07, Robin Norwood <rnorwood@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

We've been discussing the perl split and how to minimize disruption for
users.  Warren, spot, and I are seeing about getting the 'core' perl
packages that have been split into separate RPMs added to the list of
packages that get installed by default whenever perl is installed.  This
way, most users will still have CPAN + co, but we'll still have most of
the advantages we wanted from splitting them out in the first place.

This basically changes the 'build/devel' related perl modules from
opt-in to opt-out for F7.

What do you think?

This could at least stabilize things for F7 -- everything is present
the way it was in fc6, but ready for a more measured approach for F8.
If we're going forward with the split I think this is a good way to do
it.

So how are we planning on doing this?  A comps change or having core
perl require it's subpackages?  If it's just a comps change, how will
this work with upgrades (via anaconda or, eg, a yum / apt upgrade)?

                                             -Chris
--
Chris Weyl
Ex astris, scientia

[Index of Archives]     [Fedora Announce]     [Fedora Kernel]     [Fedora Testing]     [Fedora Legacy Announce]     [Fedora PHP Devel]     [Kernel Devel]     [Fedora Legacy]     [Fedora Maintainers]     [Fedora Desktop]     [PAM]     [Red Hat Development]     [Big List of Linux Books]     [Gimp]     [Yosemite Information]