Re: Perl splitting

On Monday, May 14, 2007 7:35 AM +0200 Ralf Corsepius <rc040203@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Yes, but ... how many _users_ do really need ExtUtils::MakeMaker or
Test:: modules? Perl devs will, normal users won't except when other
package will pull them in.

Before the split, it was technically impossible to replace core perl
modules, now we at least have the option to do so for those modules
which have been split out.

In fact, EU:MM is exactly the module I needed to manually upgrade in the past, and had to install a local (unpackaged) version in my build environment to do so. I see this as a boon to dealing with broken outdated core packages that can now be updated in isolation without the extreme of updating the entire core.

This doesn't affect Fedora so much, with its rapid pace of development, but other, more conservative distros (eg. RHEL and CentOS) inherit Fedora packages and will benefit from this compartmentalization of change.

[Index of Archives]     [Fedora Announce]     [Fedora Kernel]     [Fedora Testing]     [Fedora Legacy Announce]     [Fedora PHP Devel]     [Kernel Devel]     [Fedora Legacy]     [Fedora Maintainers]     [Fedora Desktop]     [PAM]     [Red Hat Development]     [Big List of Linux Books]     [Gimp]     [Yosemite Information]