Re: CPAN Module RPMs

Dave Cross wrote:

I've just started to dabble with packaging RPMs from CPAN modules and making them available for download (see http://rpm.mag-sol.com/). This had brought up a number of questions that people on this list would probably be best placed to answer.

1/ Currently I've been using cpan2rpm to build the RPMs. Are there any better tools out there? What do you use to create RPMs from CPAN distributions?

Try cpanspec (it's in Extras). I don't use it myself but I know a lot of packages in Extras were built starting from a cpanspec package.

2/ Are there any good tools for building web pages from RPMs. I've played with rpm2html but I don't want to my web pages to look like it's still 1998. Something that interfaces with the Template Toolkit would be great, and I'd be happy to write that if it doesn't already exist.

How about repoview, which is used by Fedpra Extras, e.g.:
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/5/i386/repodata/

3/ I assume there are standards that define how CPAN modules should be packaged for use with Fedora (I'm largely targeting Fedora - if the RPMs work with other distributions then that's a bonus). Are they documented somewhere?

Using cpanspec will give you a good starting point as I believe it's based on the Fedora perl package template. The packages should meet the general packaging guidelines (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines) and some tips for perl packages in particular can be found at: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Perl

Paul.

[Index of Archives]     [Fedora Announce]     [Fedora Kernel]     [Fedora Testing]     [Fedora Legacy Announce]     [Fedora PHP Devel]     [Kernel Devel]     [Fedora Legacy]     [Fedora Maintainers]     [Fedora Desktop]     [PAM]     [Red Hat Development]     [Big List of Linux Books]     [Gimp]     [Yosemite Information]