[Fwd: Disabling Module::Signature for a while]

This email has appeared in the cpan-discuss mailing list a couple of
hours ago.

--
José Pedro Oliveira
* mailto: jpo@xxxxxxxxxxxx * http://gsd.di.uminho.pt/jpo *

I've been seeing some problems with Module::Signature for a while, and I notice from the following that it's starting to become a problem for other people as well.

http://cpanratings.perl.org/dist/Module-Signature

Addition problems include the lack of pgp|gpg on Windows, which creates an enormous dependency chain (15-30 modules) of security modules many of which have platform problems or overly flexible installers, making it nearly impossible to install without forcing default options.

install Bundle::CPAN
"Would you like to enable PEM support?"
(repeat for up to a dozen other security questions)

On top of this, Module::Signature has a high bug count, many of which are serious and old.

http://rt.cpan.org/Public/Dist/Display.html?Name=Module-Signature

I've done a small amount of work myself on the Makefile.PL but anything else is beyond my skillset and time availability.

Audrey is obviously fully involved in pugs/Perl 6 is does not have time to spend on it, and I've been unable to locate a maintainer with enough time to deal with the problems.

Overall, I think (and some others agree) that Module::Signature has reached the point where it is causing more harm than good.

Any improvement in security is dwarfed by the problems it is causing for many people and modules.

The core toolchain is supposed to be highly robust and install painlessly in most environment.

I'd like people's thoughts on "resting" Module::Signature for a while, until suitable maintainers can be found and the major set of critical bugs have been resolved.

This would probably mean disabling it by default in CPAN.pm, removing the nag warnings, and removing it from Bundle::CPAN.

Would this cause any "showstopper" problems beyond just personal preferences or inconveniences.

Thanks for your time

Adam K

--- End Message ---

[Index of Archives]     [Fedora Announce]     [Fedora Kernel]     [Fedora Testing]     [Fedora Legacy Announce]     [Fedora PHP Devel]     [Kernel Devel]     [Fedora Legacy]     [Fedora Maintainers]     [Fedora Desktop]     [PAM]     [Red Hat Development]     [Big List of Linux Books]     [Gimp]     [Yosemite Information]