Re: Macros controlling the source/target/release level flags for javac

On 12/15/20 12:01 PM, Mikolaj Izdebski wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 11:39 AM Jiri Vanek <jvanek@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Hi! Mikolaj!

>>> You seem to be implying that there should be a distro-wide default for
>>
>> Correct
>
> And do you propose to always override these values set by upstreams
> with distro-specific values, or provide defaults only in case
> upstreams don't set explicit source/release/target?

In addition, I propose that xmvn does use those by default.
Both macros and xmvn must remain to be configurable to ignore them and/or to re-set them.

>>> source/target/release values. What values do you propose to set them
>>> to? 11?
>>
>> No, 8.
>
> So even if upstream builds with --source 11 --target 11, in Fedora you
> want to override their decision and build the software with --source 8
> --target 8 ?

Not forcibly, but yes.

>> Once we move to jdk17 as system JDK, the value will be enforced to rise to 11.
>>>
>>> Historically we always tried to stay close to upstream and follow
>>> their choices for source/target/release whenever possible, changing
>>
>> There is no upstream of source/target/release. Javac always by default compile for its current version. javac8 would default to source/target of 8, java11 to 11 and so on.
>> The usptream we can speak about, is oldest supported version of javac. Now, for jdk 11  it is 6. For jdk17 it will be 11. So in this, we are keeping perfectly aligned with uptream. And there is absolutey no wish to bend this (eg patch javac of jdk17 to eat source/target 8)
>
> What I meant is that most of upstream projects do pass source/target
> to javac. Projects built with Maven always do that. For upstreams that
> don't set these values I consider this as a bug and try to contact
> them to fix the issue.

Ok. I misinterpreted the usptream. I had in mind OpenJDK, where you care about generic java project.
I partially agree you. And it is one of the reasons  i consult this proposal before doing any rsh steps.

Yes, xmvn will have to step into this - if we agree on xmvn direct support.

if not, then at least %pom_set_source %pom_set_target %pom_set_release  should be created.

Where you think in forward positive, I think more backward positive, and to bump the 100 source/target calls from 1.5 or 1.4 to 1.6 or 1.8 was really somthing I do not want to repeat.

>>> them only when necessary. A common case was upstreams targeting very
>>> old Java releases that are no longer supported by current Java
>>> compilers. Therefore IMHO it makes most sense to force *minimal*
>>
>> Right, the limit was set to 5 versions to past.
>> On contrary, i think it have snese to have default od oldest supported.
>> New projects usually built on older libreries. And it is library set where this change is primarily targetting. If old library is built by old source/target, is still usbale by newer source/target project and remains usable for older projects too.
>>

>> Anyway toolchain shold be aware of  %_javac_source, %_javac_target, and %_javac_release being %nil, and default to defaults in that state.
>
> Maybe I don't understand what these macros are supposed to mean
> exactly. Can you explain what you mean by them?

They will keep the default suggested bytecode/java-api version of given dsitribution.
Right now, it would be
%_javac_source 8
%_javac_target 8
%_javac_release %nil

For system jdk of 17, it will be

%_javac_source 11
%_javac_target 11
%_javac_release 11

Note, that I hesitate a bit with the last - release - one.  As it is much more restricting then source/target. And although much more safe in runtime, a bit tricky, maybe enforcing unnecessary patching,  in compile time.

Those macros shoudl be used by packager in way I summe dup a bit more up.

>>> source/target/release values, or change combinations that are known
>>> not to work for sure. But overriding these values across the whole
>>> distro is not a good idea in my opinion only, it only introduces
>>> unnecessary deviation from upstreams, and potentially introduces bugs.
>>
>> Maybe. Although I doubt it a lot. The release switch is much more tricky one. But is only 9+. So for source/target of 8 we do not need to worry about it.
>> During bump of system jdk  to jd11 pretty common use-case raised - where we tried to compile all by defaults, then all was suddenly source/target 11. So all packages, wihch have to remain on jdk8 (less then 10%) suddenly couldnot use theirs dependencies and so they rebuilt  depndencies with source/target 8 anyway, or used embedded ones or created comapct legacy pakcages. From those three, the first is smallest evil.
>
> I think that upstream projects not setting explicit
> source/target/release should be fixed individually, fixes should be
> forwarded upstream.
>
>> So compiling with oldest possible source/target still seems to be rigt to me.
>
> I disagree. Most projects won't build if you set source/target to

Hmm. If you are right, then the proposal will die in very early stage. But I don't think so.  Where I agree with statement that project should have its jdk hardcoded project should be also asl multi-jdk as possible.
And many are keeping it and onloy set minimal viable JDK - which is usually reflected in source/targer, or in newer release.

> values lower than upstream. Besides that there are cases in which
> newer bytecode introduces very significant performance gains (one

Again, yo uare thinking abot future, where I'm in past. And there is few haundred packages which insits on ebing 1.6 or later comaptible. And those are my primary target audience.

The macros should es defautl as possible and as optional as possible (however idiotic this sounds)

> example I remember is the use of Invokedynamic in Groovy). Compiling
> for older releases would introduce performance regressions when
> compared to upstream builds.

Hmm. The performance boost is in 99& from JVM. not from bytecode itself.

>>> --
>>> Mikolaj Izdebski

 Thaxn a lot!