Re: RFC: Switching from maven-javadoc-plugin to xmvn-javadoc

On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 11:00 AM Fabio Valentini <decathorpe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> TL;DR: I propose we switch to xmvn-javadoc, since it fixes most of the
> build issues I see with OpenJDK 11 by default.

I'm in favor of using XMvn Javadoc MOJO instead of Maven Javadoc
Plugin, but for different reasons.

Documentation generated with Maven Javadoc Plugin is different for
different upstream projects - layout may be different, different CSS
themes, doclets (eg. some projects generate and include UML diagrams
etc.) while documentation generated with XMvn Javadoc MOJO looks the
same for every package.

Quote from XMvn release notes:

      XMvn 3.0.0 added new MOJO, which can be used to generate API
      documentation (javadocs) as alternative to Maven Javadoc Plugin.
      Goal <<<xmvn-mojo:javadoc>>> works in similar way to
      <<<javadoc:aggregate>>>, but it has some advantages over it.
      XMvn javadoc makes javadocs more consistent between packages -
      it unifies javadoc options, doclet used, CSS styles, and so on.
      It opens possibilities for better integration with distributions
      in the future, like for example distro-specific themes, links or
      dependencies between javadoc packages.  It also has much fewer
      dependencies, which means smaller builroots and faster builds.

Using Maven Javadoc MOJO keeps API docs closer to upstream while XMvn
Javadoc MOJO unifies API docs across all packages in distribution
(that are built with Maven), but makes them look different from
corresponding upstream API docs.

--
Mikolaj Izdebski