Re: Java 11 as default Java in Fedora?

Hi Neal,

On Sun, 2019-09-15 at 08:00 -0400, Neal Gompa wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I was wondering when we're going to switch to Java 11 as the default
> Java in Fedora. It's been a year since Java 11 was released and
> replaced Java 1.8.0 / Java 8 as the long-term stable release.
>
> Is there something still holding that back? If so, what?

See this thread for some concerns:
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/java-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/T2MEIYM6PFD2C5TRUSCDKDYPHJEZEAFA/

Add to that:

a) Check what breaks, even with the "Decouple system java setting from
   java command setting" feature. Some packages might not conform to packaging
   guidelines. File bugs for them.
b) Even if nothing breaks there should be a draft illustrating what would
   break by building from source with JDK 11. I.e. assess what would happen if
   JDK 11 would be the only available JDK. File bugs for FTBFS with JDK 11.
c) Getting something to compile with JDK 11 is one thing. Verifying that packages
   work at runtime is another, much harder, task.

Before making Java 11 the default means we should have a clearer
understanding on the abover points. Help on any of the above items
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Severin