Re: ivy builds in EPEL7

On 12/23/2016 04:02 AM, Christopher wrote:
> It's a shame that ivy-local isn't available in EPEL7.
> Is this because it's part of javapackages-tools and RH has an older version
> packaged in RHEL7, so javapackages-tools cannot be updated?

It would be technically possible to ship updated javapackages-tools in
EPEL 7 (and even EPEL 6) - upstream supports installation on EL 6/7.
Package names would need to be different (eg. javapackages-tools4,
ivy-local4 etc.) due to EPEL policy of not overriding EL packages.

One of the biggest problem I can see is that EL 7 uses different Maven
metadata format (aka "depmaps"), while current Fedora and current
javapackages-tools use new metadata format. But there are scripts to
convert between these two formats.

> If that's the case, it might be helpful if the ivy-local stuffs could be
> shipped separately for EPEL7.

That should be possible too, but would probably require more work.

> Related: Does anybody have a good example ant/ivy package building in EPEL7
> I can peek at? I'm trying to get zookeeper packaged in EPEL7, but I really
> don't know how to make things work without ivy-local. I'm a maven person,
> and ivy is a so completely foreign to me, I'm not sure where to start. I
> know it's possible to resolve locally, but I'm just not sure how to make it
> work, and I learn best by example. Any help is appreciated.

Local Ivy resolution mode is not implemented in RHEL 7, but RPM builds
can patch ivy.xml to use pattern-based resolver, pointed to javadir.
Such approach is demonstrated in EL's ant-contrib package:

  https://git.centos.org/tree/rpms!ant-contrib/c7

--
Mikolaj Izdebski
Software Engineer, Red Hat