Re: eclipse-cdt builds starting to fail with apache-commons-net 3.4

> eclipse-cdt build is starting to fail with:
>
> [ERROR] Cannot resolve project dependencies:
> [ERROR]   Software being installed:
> org.eclipse.cdt.launch.remote.feature.group 8.8.0.qualifier
> [ERROR]   Missing requirement: org.eclipse.rse.ftp.feature.group
> 3.7.0.201510131436 requires 'org.apache.commons.net [3.3.0]' but it
> could not be found
>
> https://apps.fedoraproject.org/koschei/package/eclipse-cdt
>
> This seems to be due to the update of apache-commons-net from 3.3 to
> 3.4.  However, I was under the impression that version checking wasn't
> enforced by %mvn_build.  Am I mistaken or has something else changed?
>
> Or does eclipse-rse need to be rebuilt?  And if these deps are version
> specific, that this be encoded into the rpm requires?

The failure itself originates from Tycho, and on the OSGi side versions
are consulted. This particular error is a little nasty though.

What happens is projects will specify foreign plugins using the
"plugin" statement, and the build will lock onto the exact version that
was resolved (eg. 3.3.0). The feature gets packaged and installed having
a hard dependency on that exact version. When the bundle gets updated in
Fedora, and the feature is used as part of a build, it won't resolve.

I've always looked at this as more of an upstream problem because it's
wrong to use the "plugin" statement to specify a dependency that exists
outside of the actual project. I went into the issue and reasons why
it's happening :

https://rgrunber.wordpress.com/2014/12/17/improving-eclipse-platform-stability-on-rawhide/

This used to happen a lot in the platform, so we ended up patching it
to avoid these kinds of build failures :
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/eclipse.git/tree/eclipse-feature-plugins-to-category-ius.patch

tl;dr
A rebuild of eclipse-rse will definitely fix this though try removing
the "plugin" definition of org.apache.commons.net because I already
see there is proper requires on it in the feature. That should stop
future updates to commons.net from failing the build.

Cheers,
--
Roland Grunberg