Re: Proposal to deprecate _prefer_jre

On 05/19/2015 12:12 PM, Jiri Vanek wrote:
>> We can go furnther and avoid using alternatives at all and instead rely
>> on config file /etc/java/java.conf for specifying default JVM to use.
>> This could be considered after Java 9 is default in Fedora.
>
> Hm. I think altrnatives are bit better then config file imho...

Alternatives provide one global setting for the whole system. Only root
can adjust them. Config files are much more flexible - they provide
per-user and per-application settings. You can run different apps with
different JVMs and user can put their own settings in their $HOME,
without bothering sysadmin.

Suppose you want to run Maven with JDK9, which is not available in
Fedora. You don't have root access either. You can just download JDK9,
extract it in your home, create ~/.mavenrc and put JAVA_HOME=... in it
and voila, you can run system Maven with JVM of your choice.

> But yes - thats where I'm pointing to -  the alternatives,a s designed
> long ago, do not seem to fit current sate of Fedora. Maybe even
> separation of java supbackages is becoming useless.

I'm not against alternatives. What I am proposing is setting default JVM
in system-wide Java config, which would make Fedora Java apps not use
alternatives for JVM selection. Alternatives would still control which
commands are available in shell.

> So .. What can *openjdk* do better?

I don't know. IMO OpenJDK itself is in good shape in Fedora. What I want
to improve is integration with Fedora applications, provided by
javapackages-tools.

--
Mikolaj Izdebski
Software Engineer, Red Hat