Re: Bumping Maven compiler source/target to 1.6

On 02/06/2015 04:56 PM, Christopher wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 8:37 AM, Mikolaj Izdebski <mizdebsk@xxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm considering bumping minimal source/target values in Maven Compiler
>> Plugin to 1.6 starting from Fedora 23. What is your opinion?
>>
>> [snip]
>
> +1, with questions:
>
> 1. Does this mean that F23 will ship Java 9?

No, I don't know anything plans for packaging java-1.9.0-openjdk.

> 2. What is the upstream maven-compiler-plugin doing regarding their
> defaults? If they are doing nothing, would it be better to simply fail to
> build if source/target aren't specified, in order to avoid diverging in
> expected behavior from upstream parsing of the POM?

This depends on plugin version. I think that in the latest version
default is 1.5.

Most of projects we ship define source/target, but sometimes it's quite
low. There a few project with 1.4 or 1.3 sources, some of which use
"enum" or "assert" as identifiers (or have other problems) and can't be
compiled with higher source levels.

As of today 1.5 is still definitely the most popular source level used
in Fedora packages. I wouldn't want to fail builds of hundreds of
packages and force maintainers to patch them manually. That's why XMvn
adjusts compiler plugin configuration at build time.

--
Mikolaj Izdebski
Software Engineer, Red Hat