Re: Gradle in Fedora

On 14 Nov 2014, at 8:43, Tom Dunstan wrote:

In case of Jetty 6, from technical PoV we could add it to Fedora, but it
would be against our goals (for many reasons Fedora doesn't want to ship legacy, unmaintained software). Current solution (porting to Jetty 9) is definitely not ideal either and I'll try to think of some better way of
solving the problem.

Well I'd love a creative idea, but on the one hand we've got users for whom an upgrade could break their build due to differences between Jetty 6 and 9 (his goes for any other Jetty version too), and on the other we've got Fedora not wanting to ship and maintain ancient code. Not sure how to solve that.

sorry for my gradle ignorance but does this mean it is not possible for the user to decide which version of jetty he wants to test against ? The version of the build tool locks down the jetty version ?

FWIW it doesn't require a full Jetty distribution, just the jetty jars to run it up embedded inside Gradle. It's mostly used for integration testing web app projects. I don't know if that changes the maintenance burden regarding security errata etc though.

/max
http://about.me/maxandersen