Re: My wishes for Java: No more GTK2

On Tue, 2014-10-14 at 10:21 +0200, Mickael Istria wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi Mickael,

> In the context of development of Eclipse/SWT-based applications, I'd
> like to share with you one of the issues we have currently. It's about
> SWT vs JavaFX and GTK3 vs GTK2.
> SWT and JavaFX can theorically live together in the same application (
> http://docs.oracle.com/javafx/2/swt_interoperability/jfxpub-swt_interoperability.htm
> ). This is interesting because JavaFX provide a nice WebView, which we
> could embed in Eclipse as an alternative/complement to invoking
> XulRunner or Webkit wrapper when rendering web pages in Eclipse.
> However, SWT is moving to GTK3 whereas JavaFX is still stuck on GTK2. So
> both can't coexist properly in the same application.
> Apparently, only the fx-glass module needs update, so it doesn't seem to
> be a too difficult task to change code to use GTK3 instead of GTK2.
> However, in this message
> https://www.mail-archive.com/openjfx-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg05966.html
> , it's said that JavaFX can't move to GTK3 because the Swing/AWT part is
> also linked to GTK2, and since both are shipped together, it doesn't
> make sense to introduce inconsistency between different JVM "modules".
> So it seems like if we want to align JavaFX on GTK3, it also requires to
> move AWT to GTK3.
>
> Do any of you have already investigated those issues? Does anyone
> already has plan to provide fixes for that?

I wouldn't call them "plans", but we're preparing a few things, like
OpenJFX into Fedora and a GTK3 look and feel. When those things will be
ready? Well, there's a bunch of issues we are addressing and it will
take a bit of time, but at least the process started.

Also, GTK3 won't substitute GTK2 because there's a number of
applications which will have to be supported in the long term, the GTK2
is (unfortunately) part of the official look and feels, and this means
it won't just go away.

I know there's plan (and I think it has been done already really) to
make GKT2 optional in recent OpenJDK builds, that means that the library
is only dlopen'ed if it's needed, this is a work being done by Andrew
Hughes, you should be able to follow it in the IcedTea repository as
well as upstream (I can't remember the bug links out of my mind, but you
can try searching them in IcedTea bugzilla) .

There's the task of integrating the whole, this is enormous really,
OpenJFX, OpenJDK and Eclipse are all very complicated piece of software
and is not easy to make everything talk to each other correctly.

When we will have OpenJFX in Fedora, we can start fixing the necessary
bits to use GTK3 or 2 based on the system it's running on.

So, lots of work, and it will be surely faster if we get people to help
[1] ;)

Cheers,
Mario

[1] And it may be enough time for you to become a C developer ;)