Re: Weak dependencies

On 04/03/2014 10:43 AM, Mikolaj Izdebski wrote:
On 04/03/2014 05:30 PM, David M. Lloyd wrote:
On 04/03/2014 06:48 AM, Peter MacKinnon wrote:
On 04/01/2014 07:28 AM, Mikolaj Izdebski wrote:
Fedora 21 will likely introduce so called "weak" or "soft" dependencies,
also known as recommends and suggests.  For proposed change see [1].
What do you think about Java packages adopting usage of weak
dependencies?

An example: Dependencies declared as optional in POM files could be
translated by dependency generators to Recommends instead of Requires.

+1 for optional->Recommends mapping

I would be cautious before deciding to universally and directly map
Maven (build-time) dependencies to run-time dependencies.  I think the
general concept is a good idea though.

They are already being mapped since Fedora 18, see [1].

Current mapping is:

Maven scope | generate Requires?
------------+-------------------
     compile | yes
     runtime | yes
    provided | no
        test | no
      system | fail the build

Currently even optional dependencies (marked in POM files as
<optional>true</optional>) have Requires generated.  I was thinking
about generating Recommends for them instead of Requires.  But that's a
distant future it seems.

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Simplified_Maven_Packaging

This system may fail with "provided" dependencies as it may mean that the dependency is expected to exist in the target environment, but that it should not be packaged or bundled with the artifact. But as long as there's some kind of manual override capability, then it's probably okay.

--
- DML