Re: Weak dependencies

On 04/01/2014 01:28 PM, Mikolaj Izdebski wrote:
Fedora 21 will likely introduce so called "weak" or "soft" dependencies,
also known as recommends and suggests.  For proposed change see [1].
What do you think about Java packages adopting usage of weak dependencies?

An example: Dependencies declared as optional in POM files could be
translated by dependency generators to Recommends instead of Requires.

Any thoughts on this?

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/RPM-4.12

There is always issue that end users will hardly know why, should he install something and mostly there is no nice dialogue "This feature works only when you download also .....(and put it on classapth)" Not mentioning that upstreams do not care about "to enable this feature yum install someRpm"

Well I have (me-touching) example in mind. IcedTea-Web have "weak" dependence on tagsoup. Well it works without it, but then some JNLP files are not parsed. User get jsut "invalid xml" exception in this case. So he will have no clue, that he should install tagsoup,

Will there be any mechanism for this? I doubt:(

TBH - I can come only with one good usage - to use soft dependence *only* for dependence which are not in fedora. Once it is packed, lets it be installed all.

J.