Re: Splitting SLF4J

On 03/07/2014 09:01 AM, Michael Simacek wrote:
> I've split the slf4j package into subpackages. The api, simple and
> nop submodules were left in the main package, in order not to break
> many packages

In my opinion, the best way to do that is to have the slf4j package be
empty and then have Requires on the subpackages that you think you need.
One advantage of this method is that it allows a full package split.

Even though I think that the current split is a step in the right
direction, it still shows the arbitrary way in which Fedora Java
packaging has always been done, where, instead of splitting all
artifacts according to upstream, the packager just chooses either a full
monolithic package with everything (usually with incorrect Requires), or
whimsically splits out some arbitrary subset of jars.

Please note that this is not meant to be a criticism of this packager or
any packager generally, but an expression of my opinion in general.