Re: New Packaging Guidelines Vote

Mikolaj Izdebski <mizdebsk@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On 01/14/2014 03:32 PM, Stanislav Ochotnicky wrote:
>>
>> I want to give our current packaging draft[1] to FPC for approval.  The
>> diff is relatively big. See original announcement from October[2] for
>> more details.
>>
>> To simplify/speed up vote please reply to this email with +1 votes, or
>> comments if you'd like some changes done to the draft before I pass it on.
>>

>> [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Akurtakov/JavaPackagingDraftUpdate
>> [2] https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/java-devel/2013-October/005020.html
>
> First of all, I think there should be revision ID so that people know
> exactly on which version of the draft they are voting on.  I am assuming
> you mean revision 366989.

I didn't want to complicate things and I expected mostly minor
changes. I'd re-run the vote if the changes turned out to be major.

> I really like the idea of limiting the guidelines to strict requirements
> and leaving the best practices to other documents (such as Java
> packaging HOWTO).  However I can see one issue:
>
> Current Java packaging guidelines includes the following sentence: "If
> upstream project does not ship pom.xml file official maven repo should
> be checked and if there are pom.xml files they SHOULD be installed."  It
> seems to be removed from current draft.  I would like it to be retained
> as it effectively allows provenpackagers to add missing POMs to packages
> they don't own, without the need to file bugs or wait for days/weeks.
>
> If the above sentence (or equivalent) is re-introduced it will be +1
> from me.

Done, see
https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=User%3AAkurtakov%2FJavaPackagingDraftUpdate&diff=367001&oldid=366989

--
Stanislav Ochotnicky <sochotnicky@xxxxxxxxxx>
Software Engineer - Developer Experience

PGP: 7B087241