Re: Shipping of binaries in jar files

On Fri, 2013-04-26 at 10:52 +0100, Andrew Haley wrote:
> On 04/26/2013 10:39 AM, Stanislav Ochotnicky wrote:
> > WRT original question, I am not sure how to proceed. Even if you
> generate debuginfo packages I have to wonder how easy will it be to
> use in a debugger?
>
> Well, quite.  The right thing to do is not to hide the DSOs.  Then everything
> will just work.  The alternative is to put the debuginfo in the jar with the
> DSO, but IMO we should not be considering this option.

Indeed. It means the fedora autoqa processes don't see it, the build-ids
and source files don't get collected (making profiling, tracing,
debugging, automatic crash detection and core file inspection tricky),
prelink doesn't see it, the shared library cannot actually be shared by
multiple programs using it, the selinux file contexts don't apply to it,
etc.

I don't think it makes much sense to hide an executable file inside a
jar file where all the standard distribution and packaging tools
basically cannot see it.

Cheers,

Mark