Debugging information in .class files

I would like to propose an addition to Java packaging guidelines that
would recommend including line number information in .class files.

Line numbers are already included in majority of .class files installed
as part of Fedora packages (most of compilers include them by default),
but some packages install "optimized" or even obfuscated class files
which don't contain line numbers.  Lack of line numbers makes stack
traces less useful and therefore debugging more difficult.

In Java we don't have separate debuginfo packages that would carry basic
debugging information.  Line numbers themselves have very low impact on
performance or installation size, so in my opinion they should be
included in all class files installed in Fedora, perhaps with exception
for classes not compiled from Java source, but generated by other means
(for example RMI compile).

What do you think about that?  Do you agree with my proposal?

--
Mikolaj Izdebski