Re: Maven plugin to simplify spec %install section

On 09/11/2012 02:43 PM, Stanislav Ochotnicky wrote:
Quoting Mikolaj Izdebski (2012-09-11 14:33:47)
Yet another option is including it with javapackages-tools which
contains rpm-packaging support already although not Maven specific. I
see no problem with adding Maven-specific plugin even if
javapackages-tools don't require Maven. The plugin is not going to be
used outside Maven java artifacts anyway...
Let's say the script that invokes my plugin would be called mvn-rpminstall.
Why mvn-rpmbuild would be part part of maven package, while mvn-rpminstall
part of javapackages-tools? Both are Fedora-specific extensions to upstream
Maven. For me it would be the best to package them in the same fashion.
Indeed looking from that POV it looks sensible to put it in Maven. I am
looking at it from my knowledge of patches that Maven itself carries.
mvn-rpmbuild directly depends on those patches while mvn-rpminstall does
not (AFAIK). In the end it's not *that* important since Maven pulls in
javapackages-tools through jpackage-utils dependency anyway. I just
wanted to keep our Maven package simple and close to upstream content.

I basically boils down to: which option will confuse packagers and
downstream distributions using our Java stack less...

If it is a clean plugin it could just be a separate package depending on maven.
That way everything stays as clean as it currently is.

Carlo