using systemPath in POM files

Hello, fellow java packagers.  Little by little, I'm learning ways to
make life with maven a little easier.  One of the things I recently
learned the quickest way to deal with a missing pom file.  I was
packaging wss4j, which depends on axis, which doesn't have a pom file
in Fedora.  I worked around it with this:

         <dependency>
             <groupId>org.apache.axis</groupId>
             <artifactId>axis</artifactId>
             <version>${axis.version}</version>
-            <scope>provided</scope>
+            <scope>system</scope>
+            <systemPath>${axis.basedir}/axis.jar</systemPath>
         </dependency>
         <dependency>

(where axis.basedir is set to /usr/share/java/axis).  The solution
works fine, but is this acceptable?  Is there a negative impact? It
seems my only other alternative would be to file a bug and wait for
the maintainer to add a pom to the axis package, and I'd rather not do
that.  (I'm happy to file the bug, but not to wait for the fix).

Thanks,

Andy