Re: Fonts hinting

On 11/26/2010 05:40 AM, Mario Torre wrote:
> Is there anything changed in the way OpenJDK handles fonts in the latest
> fedora?
>
> I update the system:
>
> java-1.6.0-openjdk-1.6.0.0-43.1.8.2.fc13.x86_64
>
> And now my nice antialiased fonts are gone. I do have freetype with the
> patented hinting enabled (and the patent *is* expired), but it looks
> like the setting is not picked up by OpenJDK.

AFAIK the default freetype packages have subpixel rendering disabled.
This is different from the bytecode interpreter (which does hinting).
Can you please ensure that supixel rendering is enabled in freetyp?
(Note that most other applications work around it, so they wont be
affected if subpixel rendering is disabled in freetype). When I build
freetype with subpixel rendering enabled, it shows up fine with OpenJDK.

Cheers,
Omair