Re: Naming packages from apache.org

2010/1/14 Gary Benson <gbenson@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> Rex Dieter wrote:
>> Orion Poplawski wrote:
>> > crossposting to java and packaging -
>> >
>> > Seems like we need an accepted standard for naming packages from
>> > apache.org
>>
>> Sorry for the old followup, but I vaguely recall there been some old
>> badness about using the name "apache" (ie, notice the package named
>> 'httpd' in the distro).  I wonder if this is still a problem?
>
> As I remember it, the Apache Software Foundation renamed their package
> from "apache" to "httpd".  They wanted to stress that "Apache" was the
> software foundation, and that the software foundation was more than
> just a web server.
>

> Which is my very long winded way of saying I don't think using
> "apache" in package names is a problem.

In all honesty, I'm only really concerned with removing references to
the deprecated "jakarta" name.

Moving the Apache Foundation commons packages to an "apache-commons-*"
namespace makes sense, because there are other commons packages
unrelated to Apache project, such as Mary's "aduna-commons-*"
packages, but I don't see the need to rename other standalone Apache
Foundation projects if there's no naming conflict.

--
Mat Booth