Using Maven in Fedora Koji

As part of my work developing and maintaining Koji, I've been looking at ways to better support Java builds. Maven is emerging as the defacto standard build tool for Java projects, but the design of Maven makes it difficult to use in the context of rpmbuild. In order to provide the same reproduceability and auditability for Java builds that we have with rpm builds, without the complexity of the Maven-in-rpmbuild system we use now, I've been working on supporting Maven natively in Koji.

The code has been committed to the "mead" branch of the upstream Koji git repository, and testing has been very successful. I'm planning on taking the proposal to FESCo soon, but I wanted to get some feedback from the people most likely to be affect by this, the active Java packagers/maintainers, first. I've written up a wiki page describing how the system works and some of the advantages of it here:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/KojiMavenSupport

Note that deploying this in Fedora would not force any packages to change their build process. If you are happy with your current build process, you're free to continue using it. This is an alternative build process available to those packages that would benefit from it, primarily Java packages that build with Maven. The existing rpmbuild-based process and the new Maven-based process will be fully interoperable.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or feedback you have on this before we take it to FESCo and the Fedora Packaging Committee. Though this has the potential to increase the number of Java packages in Fedora significantly, it could also make packaging Java apps for Fedora significantly easier.

Note that this also has implications for building and packaging JBoss in Fedora. A number of the JBoss projects build with Maven, and more of them are moving in that direction upstream, but getting them to build within rpmbuild has been difficult and labor-intensive. Koji Maven support was designed with this in mind, and will enable us to build JBoss in a repeatable, trackable way without requiring changes to the upstream build process, and will make packaging the build output in rpms dramatically simpler. Getting JBoss packaged in Fedora in a fully supportable way is a compelling reason for deploying this in the Fedora build environment.

Please let me know if you have any questions, or need more detail about any aspect of the proposal.

Thanks,
Mike