Re: [Q] Autotools Eclipse plugin & build directory

Jeff Johnston wrote:
Francois-Xavier KOWALSKI wrote:
Hello fedora-devel-java,

I am using the Autotools Plug-in version 0.9.5.2 from your Eclipse
update site, from Eclipse 3.3.1.1 + CDT 4.0.1.

When creating a new autotools project[1], the CDT build directory is
hard-wired to ${project_loc}/build. Changing this value to some other
(eg. in my case ${worksspace_loc}/_build) is ignored. As a result:

  1. In case a project already has a "build" sub-directory, the
     autotools plugin enthusiastically damage the content of this
     sub-directory
  2. It is not possible to use a single source tree ${project_loc} for
     several build-trees (for example to use several combinations of
     ./configure options)

Hello Jeff,

Sorry for coming back to you so late: your answer was automatically sorted to some mail folder... I just rediscovered it :-[

thanks for answering & providing me solutions for both aspects of my problem. I will take a look at this 0.9.5.3 update as soon as I will have fixed this !@#$%^ of Eclipse update that keeps trying to locate a non-existent Europa Update Site.

br.

--FiX

Francois, changing the build directory is supported, but not via the
ManagedMake settings.

The configure tool has the build directory specified under

   Project->Properties->C/C++ Build->Settings->Tool Settings->Configure
   ->General->Build Directory

The first configuration defaults to "build", but you can change it.  You
also get a different default per new configuration (buildx where x is a
number).  You may change each configuration manually to whatever local
directory you want in the Tool Settings dialog.  You can also create
multiple configurations there and specify different Autotools
configuration parameters to each CDT configuration.  So, you can have
one tree that builds arm-elf, mn10300-elf, etc..  You can name the CDT
configurations and manage them in the Properties->C/C++ Build dialog
(see top right button: Manage Configurations).

 From my understanding, the plugin should use both ${project_loc} to run
the autogen.sh tool, _and_ the GUI-set ${build_dir}to run the configure
& make tools.

Is this a missing feature or do I mis-understand something?

The plugin looks for configure and autogen.sh in the main project
directory by default.  autogen.sh is only used if there is no configure
script to run.  If autogen.sh runs configure and creates a new
config.status, configure is not run again, otherwise, configure is
automatically run after autogen.sh.  The configure tool has a "Configure
Tool Directory" option under General which allows you to specify a
subdirectory (e.g. src) where configure is found.  Autogen.sh tool
options were added long after configure and ideally this option plus the
build directory should be split out.  For now, you can change the
autogen.sh command to include a subdirectory (e.g. src/autogen.sh).
This last feature won't work until 0.9.5.3 which is due out on the
update site later today.

The top-level Makefile is created in the build directory specified by
the configure tool.

-- Jeff J.

--
Francois-Xavier "FiX" KOWALSKI     /_ __        Tel:+33 (0)4 76 14 63 27
HP OpenCall Software  - EMTS      / //_/        Fax:+33 (0)4 76 14 51 62