Re: Eclipse error when doing a "Run As" in a java project

Timothy Selivanow wrote:
On Tue, 2007-12-04 at 16:51 -0500, Jeff Johnston wrote:
Timothy,

It appears you do not have a proper main method. You should have the following method in your HelloWorld.java file:

       System.out.println("Hello World!");
   }

You would have gotten this when you created your New Class if you asked it to create your main method (there is a click box).

If you right-click on the java file, you will be offered the option to run it as a Java Application. If you rename it to main2, for example, you will instead see "Open Run Dialog" offered. If you try and force this to be run via the dialog, you will get the error message you are seeing which is entirely expected.

-- Jeff J.

I had the method defined, but I had removed "String[] args" thinking
that I didn't need to pass anything to it so I should take it out.  Does
this mean that main() needs at least that argument declaration to work
properly?

Yes. It is looking for that particular main signature. If you rename it don't make it public or static, all of these will cause the same problem.

-- Jeff J.

--Tim
________________________________________________________________________ / If you float on instinct alone, how can you calculate the buoyancy for \
| the computed load?                                                     |
\                 -- Christopher Hodder-Williams                         /