Re: default vm memory settings for fedora eclipse

Andrew Overholt wrote:
* Andrew Haley <aph@xxxxxxxxxx> [2007-10-05 09:01]:
Andrew Overholt writes:
 > * Andrew Haley <aph@xxxxxxxxxx> [2007-10-05 08:47]:
 > > So, why don't I just patch IcedTea to use your values as defaults?
> > That would be awesome. I think Tom Fitzsimmons might actually have some
 > better values, but anything higher would rock.

Alright, so I need to do the experiment:

Duplicate the failures -- you must tell me exactly what to do.

Rebuild with new values.

Confirm that the failures no longer happen.

It may be easier for me to do this.  Josh Sumali can help as well as he
can now reliably crash Eclipse within a few minutes.  It's difficult to
reproduce with a simple "run these steps" and even with a large
workspace, I find it happens erratically.

When was the last time I told you something was wrong and it was easy to
reproduce?  :)

Andrew
There's no real set list of things to do, but what I find works best is doing many *different* things (as to load classes into perm gen space). This typically involves doing things like:

-cvs update, cvs diffing
-Source > Format , Source > Clean Up
-Right click on a project, enable maven, play around with the maven settings
-Running programs differently (Right click > run as > java applet, or java application, OSGI, etc)
-Debugging programs differently
-Looking at eclipse help (Help Contents, Dynamic Help, etc)

Using more plugins would probably be easier in terms of crashing Eclipse, but I can do so with just Maven and Mylyn on Eclipse as plugins (and a 64mb permgen limit).

Josh