Re: [fedora-java] ecj classpath

Gary Benson <gbenson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

David Walluck wrote:
When trying to compile with ecj, I am getting the following error:

The type java.lang.Object cannot be resolved

I am confused as to how ecj finds rt.jar since I don't see it being
added to the classpath or bootclasspath. I have even tried adding it
explicitly to either of these and it doesn't seem to help.

I've seen that error before, but only when things have been
egregiously broken.  You're using i386 packages, right?  What're
your versions of eclipse-ecj, libgcj and java-1.4.2-gcj-compat?

I am rebuilding the Fedora packages (x86 arch), since, for example, I would like a standalone ecj package that could eventually go to jpackage.org. However, I am
trying not to change anything such that I would create a problem that didn't
exist before. If I ``simply'' rebuild java-1.4.2-gcj compat (40jpp_43rh) and
then try to run ecj, the above error happens. Yet, if I use the rebuilt rpm
everything seems to work.

The ecj package is made from portions of the eclipse spec (from 3.1.0_fc-12). I
did note that gij is supposed to find rt.jar based on a hardcoded path to java
home (by passing `--with-java-home' when configure libgcj). This is set to the
directory of java-gcj-compat even though the gcc rpm doesn't depend on this
package (as far as I can tell). I suspect that running gij directly (without
having java-gcj-compat installed) will make it fail to find rt.jar. Of course,
this doesn't explain what's happening because rt.jar exists in the path
specified by `--with-java-home' and ecj is linked to libgcj and not launched
with gij.

--
Sincerely,

David Walluck