Re: [fedora-java] Re: Odd ClassNotFoundException with RSSOwl

Hi David,

Of course we would like to see the packages at jpackage.org, too, but I
understand that FC wants some added value. The problem is also that
jpackage.org has no strategy (and no strategy has been proposed) for binary packages. This means that while jpackage.org was once a nice place to get Java packages for any RPM distro, now the work needs to be duplicated---not only
duplicated for every distro, but at jpackage.org as well.

I think JPackage guys can agree on a strategy for binary packages and all distros can be compatible with jpp packages if they want to. As far as I understand gcj on FC4 uses the gij interpreter to start Java applications, and so using Kaffe, Sun Java or any other jvm should not impact the Java app, and it used *.db files to replace the bytecodes by native code at runtime. So the inly difference are the *.so files and the corresponding *.db files.

I guess it was already sugested on the list putting the native files on a separate package, and this package only is deppendent on libgcj and gij. Someone expressed concerns about users installing a Java app (say Tomcat) from it's rpm package but not the native rpm and so getting poor performance, but I think that's something users can find out on the FAQ or mailing list.

For big apps (and optmizations like the use of native Java libraries) I'd like to have some kind of "meta-package" just like Familiar Linux uses. They have, for example, a language-pt package that install the keyboard layout, locale files and message files for all applications, but just for installed ones. So it's easy to add support for some language without bloating the limited flash space on a PDA with thousands of language files like desktop distros do.

Instead of having to remember to install tomcat-webapps and the like, or relying on yum and up2date to find dependencies (which are not allways all I'd like to have on a default install) I'd use "rpm -i tomcat-complete" and this packages directs to install everything it needs.

So FC could have meta-packages requiring both native and bytecode packages, and the bytecode packages (and even the native ones) could be jpp ones.

If you ever tried to install Gnome, OpenOffice or Apache with PHP and lots of modules installed by hand, you'd love to have that meta-package concept. That's something like that Anaconda does, presenting the user categories of packages instead of individual rpm files, but more granular.

[]s, Fernando Lozano