Re: [fedora-java] Re: jpackage.org and FC4

Ian Pilcher wrote:
> Gary Benson wrote:
> > Yes, if you want to use JREs and SDKs other than the one we ship.
> > And also yes if you want to use Java applications other than the
> > ones we ship.
> >
> > However, FC4 users should be careful about upgrading packages when
> > such an upgrade would result in a Fedora package being replaced
> > with a JPackage one.  Doing this will in many cases cause you to
> > lose performance and/or function when using our JRE.
> >
> > In short, update from JPackage's yum repository at your peril.
>
> And therein lies a problem.  As you say, there are valid reasons for
> using JPackage RPMs on Fedora Core 4, but doing so is "perilous".

Yes, though again it's only a problem if you replace Fedora packages
with JPackage ones.  Installing packages from JPackage that do not
exist in Fedora should pose no problems.

> It would be a very good thing, IMNSHO, if the Fedora Java folks and
> the JPackage folks could develop some sort of co-existance strategy.

We do coexist. Unfortunatly the limitations of rpm's linear version
space mean that something has to give, and that something is
upgrading.

Cheers,
Gary