Re: Fedora Cloud Info

On 5/18/20 2:56 AM, Michael Hall wrote:
> Hi

Hi Michael,

> I am an instructor in a community college in Australia. We are making increasing use of Fedora Cloud images in our practical labs on AWS.
>
> Fedora just works and has been a great option for us, but we're wondering if there is more information anywhere about what goes into (and comes out of) a Fedora Cloud image, in comparison with regular Fedora.

That's good to hear!

> We have noticed several things, eg:
> - cronjobs (cronie) not installed

systemd timers are one alternative, or dnf install cronie

> - firewall not installed (not really necessary in AWS environment)

Yeah the standard there has been no firewall on by default because cloud providers generally have
firewalling primitives built in at a higher level.

> - cloud-init installed
>
> So we're interested in more information about the Fedora Cloud AMI in general, if you could point us to anything relevant. I'm interested in making it clear to students the choices, options and requirements involved in putting together an AMI.

We build the cloud base image using an Anaconda kickstart located here:
https://pagure.io/fedora-kickstarts/blob/master/f/fedora-cloud-base.ks

> Some of the documentation around Fedora Cloud seems a little out of date, maybe we could look at updating some docs as a class project somewhere down the line.

Would love to have you be more involved in the community. We hang out in #fedora-cloud on IRC
and our next meeting is bi-weekly. See the Meetings section of https://pagure.io/cloud-sig/blob/master/f/README.md

Dusty