F32, enable fstrim.timer by default

Hi,

This desktop@ thread [1] about a slow device restored by enabling
fstrim.service, got me thinking about enabling fstrim.timer [2] by
default in Fedora Workstation. But I'm curious if it might be
desirable in other Fedora Editions, and making it a system-wide
change?

I've checked recent versions of openSUSE and Ubuntu, and they have it
enabled. Therefore I estimate the likelihood of running into cons
(below) is pretty remote. Most people won't notice anything.

The pros:
+ when passed down to flash drives that support trim, it provides a
hint to the drive firmware about erase blocks ready for erasure. Some
devices will have improved wear leveling and performance as a result,
but this is firmware specific.
LVM [3] and dm-crypt [4] passdown appears to be enabled by default on Fedora.
+ with LVM thin provisioning, it will cause unused LV extents to be
returned to the thin pool for use by other LVs, kind of a nifty work
around for XFS not supporting fs shrink resize.

The gotchas:
+  Few, but highly visible, reports of buggy SSDs that corrupt or lose
data soon after trim being issued. By now, most have been blacklisted
in the kernel, and/or have manufacturer firmware updates. We shouldn't
run into this problem unless someone has older hardware that hasn't
been update and for some reason also hasn't been blacklisted in the
kernel.
+ Older SSD's have only non-queued trim support, which also can result
in a brief hang while the command is processed. This is highly
variable based on the device firmware, and the workload. But using
weekly fstrim is preferred for these devices, instead of using the
discard mount option in /etc/fstab.
+ Possible exposure of fs locality pattern may be a security risk for
some workflows. [4] [5]

[1]
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/desktop@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/message/UHINXYYGEYD727HIUHF3DQ7ZPCZHXWOK/

[2]
fstrim.timer, if enabled, runs fstrim.service weekly, specifically
Monday at midnight local time; and if the system isn't available at
that time, it runs during or very soon after the next startup. The
command:
ExecStart=/usr/sbin/fstrim --fstab --verbose --quiet

fstab means only file systems in fstab are included; verbose reports
the mount point and bytes potentially discarded and is recorded in the
systemd journal; quiet suppresses errors which is typical for file
systems and devices that don't support fstrim, e.g. the EFI System
partition, which is FAT16/32; and USB flash "stick" drives, and hard
drives.

[3]
/etc/lvm/lvm.conf, if I'm reading it correctly, file system discards
are passed down:
    # This configuration option has an automatic default value.
    # thin_pool_discards = "passdown"

Due to this Fedora 27 feature; trim is passed down by dm-crypt as well
for LUKS volumes. Curiously because Fedora neither sets the discard
mount option for any file system, nor enables fstrim.timer, this
feature isn't being taken advantage of.

[4]
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/EnableTrimOnDmCrypt

[5]
Trim on LUKS/dm-crypt note from upstream, section 5.19
https://gitlab.com/cryptsetup/cryptsetup/-/wikis/FrequentlyAskedQuestions#5-security-aspects

--
Chris Murphy