[atomic-wg] Issue #290: Make fedora-minimal base image generally available

fkluknav added a new comment to an issue you are following:
``
> Because you can't run a container without a base image.  You still need a stripped-down userspace with glibc, if nothing else.
> The point of the container is as a unit of delivery, not as a work environment.  That is, I'm building the contianer in order to deploy it to a cloud, not so that I can use it to build other things.  I don't need DNF in the container, I need DNF inorder to install things into the container.  Once those things are installed, I don't want DNF in the container.  Same with gcc, make, git, etc.
> Is this getting close to unikernels?  Yep.  And that's a good thing.  We need to stop thinking of containers like they're VMs.   They are not.  Containers are statically linked binaries, and just like th statically linked binaries of yore, it's critically important to reduce our dependencies.

@jberkus : I agree fully with last 2 paragraphs but still do not get the first. Why do you need to build an image using a container? Even if you want to do that, because it is cool to do everything in containers, you still do not need a "base" image. Just make a tarball from scratch by any means you want - for example with buildah like in the previous post from dwalsh. As I understand it, the concept of a base image comes from the concept of containers as work environment - the very thing you want to avoid. Where is my understanding wrong?
``

To reply, visit the link below or just reply to this email
https://pagure.io/atomic-wg/issue/290