[atomic-wg] Issue #249: The build system should provide an automatically populated VERSION label

strigazi added a new comment to an issue you are following:
``
Is there any update on this?

I think that a tag showing the version of the component is very useful. I discover this need when using kubernetes components. When you pull images like kubernetes-kubelet or even etcd you may need to pin down to a specific version. eg the google_containers have tags with the corresponding version.

gcr.io/google_containers/hyperkube:v1.5.3

for containers from the fedora registry we could have

registry.fedoraproject.org/f25/kubernetes-kubelet:v1.5.3

I know that kubermetes is installed from the fedora repos inside the container and we don't set explicitly the version and when you pull the new images you get the latest. IMO, we need the version because, in some cases you may update to the latest kubernetes-kubelet image and get the up to date image with the same kube version and in some cases the version might change. One might want to update only if the kube version is the same or he might want to rollback. Another example is when a package is broken and you need to revert, you might want an updated fedora base but the previous component version. I had this issue with etcd. I wanted etcd 3.0.15 because there was a bug in 3.0.17 and with the fedora image I was getting only 3.0.17.

What do you think?
``

To reply, visit the link below or just reply to this email
https://pagure.io/atomic-wg/issue/249