Re: Announce: Fedora Layered Image Release

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 2:39 AM, Jan Pazdziora <jpazdziora@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 10:39:22PM -0500, Adam Miller wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>     On behalf of the Fedora Atomic WG[0] and Fedora Release
>> Engineering[1], I am pleased to announce the latest Fedora Layered
>> Image Release. This follows the latest Atomic Host Release that came
>> out yesterday[2].
>>
>> At this time the following Container Images are available in the
>> Fedora Registry.
>>
>> Base Images:
>>
>> (Note that the "latest" tag currently points to "25" and the "rawhide"
>> tag currently points to "27", if no tag is provided in your pull
>> command then it will always default to "latest")
>>
>> registry.fedoraproject.org/fedora:latest
>> registry.fedoraproject.org/fedora:rawhide
>> registry.fedoraproject.org/fedora:27
>> registry.fedoraproject.org/fedora:26
>> registry.fedoraproject.org/fedora:25
>> registry.fedoraproject.org/fedora:24
>
> What is the relationship to docker.io/fedora?
>
> Running docker pull for various images and then docker images, I can see
>
> REPOSITORY                          TAG                 IMAGE ID            CREATED             SIZE
> docker.io/fedora                    24                  f623aaef07f0        5 months ago        204.4 MB
> registry.fedoraproject.org/fedora   24                  f623aaef07f0        5 months ago        204.4 MB
>
> so for Fedora 24 the images are the same, but
>
> REPOSITORY                          TAG                 IMAGE ID            CREATED             SIZE
> docker.io/fedora                    25                  15895ef0b3b2        6 days ago          230.9 MB
> registry.fedoraproject.org/fedora   25                  b414411f6e00        7 days ago          230.9 MB
>
> So it looks like docker.io/fedora has newer Fedora 25 image than
> registry.fedoraproject.org/fedora. Is that expected?
>
> If we are building building images
>
>         FROM fedora:25
>
> should we start using
>
>         FROM registry.fedoraproject.org/fedora:25
>
> instead in Dockerfiles? If merely fedora does not point to whatever
> is the authoritative location for Fedora images, shouldn't it be purged
> in docker.io to avoid confusion?

We do have 'FROM registry.fedoraproject.org/fedora:25' in our
Container Guidelines[0] today.

As a note though, we do maintain the docker base images on the Docker
Hub also, they are made from the same rootfs of the Fedora Official
ones that comes from Koji but we have to extract the rootfs from the
archive file and add a Dockerfile to comply with Docker Library's
upload workflow[1]. However, we do not upload pre-GA Releases
(branched) or rawhide to Docker Hub currently because of this added
manual work that is required.

We are also aiming to sync out all layered image content to Docker Hub
(and potentially other publicly available registries such as Quay.io)
but that is not currently high in priority. Hopefully in the next
couple months. As a point of note, layered image content can easily be
sync'd via the fedora Docker Hub account once the automatic release
process is in place (currently being worked on[2]) but base images are
considered special.

-AdamM

[0] - https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Container:Guidelines
[1] - https://github.com/fedora-cloud/docker-brew-fedora