[atomic-wg] Issue #186 `switch to overlay2`

dustymabe added a new comment to an issue you are following:
``

with [DOCKER_ROOT_VOLUME](https://github.com/projectatomic/docker-storage-setup/pull/175/commits/ee035598cbbd8c194ab3f6830e38972dee24744a) and `overlayfs` using that then all of `/var/lib/docker` would be taken care of. Please let me know if I'm wrong.

>> I prefer overlay2 and would like to see there be only one option so that we can have less confusion in the future. However, giving users the choice is nice as well. Maybe there is a way to achieve both on startup.
>
> You could have two kickstarts: overlay2 and devicemapper, and each kickstart is specified using a GRUB menu entry on the installation media. The devicemapper case uses the existing kickstart and depends on the existing docker-storage-setup "use 40% of VG free space for a dm-thin pool"; the overlay2 kickstart would cause the installer to use all available space for rootfs, leaving no unused space in the VG.

So I hardly ever use interactive installs, but that is a valid case. I would think most people would be using their own kickstart file if they are installing a server fresh and they would set up storage the way they want it to be set up, right? I tend to think more about the cloud use case where you spin up a preconfigured image. What I was referring to is having `docker-storage-setup` be able to make the switch for us. It turns out that we have the storage configured like this in the baked images (note this is before `docker-storage-setup` runs):

```text
-bash-4.3# lsblk
NAME              MAJ:MIN RM  SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sdb                 8:16   0   10G  0 disk
sdc                 8:32   0  368K  0 disk
sda                 8:0    0   20G  0 disk
├─sda2              8:2    0 19.7G  0 part
│ └─atomicos-root 253:0    0    9G  0 lvm  /sysroot
└─sda1              8:1    0  300M  0 part /boot
```

This means we can essentially look at if the user provided `overlay` or `DM` and do whatever they asked.
- If they provided overlay then we can just extend the root partition and go on our merry way.
- If they also specified `DOCKER_ROOT_VOLUME=yes` then they want overlay on another partition, did they specify a partion? yes, use that one. no, create an LV.
- If they provided DM then create new LVs and set it up just like we have been doing before this discussion started.

``

To reply, visit the link below or just reply to this email
https://pagure.io/atomic-wg/issue/186