[atomic-wg] Issue #186 `switch to overlay2`

vgoyal added a new comment to an issue you are following:
``
Sharing rootfs and overlay2 makes configuration easy. Agreed with that. But 2) is a requirement. If overlay2 does not work for a user, we want them an option to go back to devicemapper.

overlay2 is fairly new and is not fully posix compliant. So it can spring surprises for certain workloads
and users will be pretty upset if they don't have a way to go back and have to configure and boot into new instance of atomic-host.

If 2) was not a requirement, I would have advocated for 1) for sure as that makes configuration very easy.

My understanding is that fedora workstation, fedora server and fedora atomic-host are all following different default partitioning schemes.

Fedora workstation consumes all the free disk space by default. I am assuming that cloud-init based images grow rootfs to the fully available disk capacity on first boot. If that's the case, then having shared rootfs there makes sense as we never provided a proper devicemapper setup out of box there.

Fedora Server now has switched to the notion of providing a limited size rootfs and leaving rest of the space free. I am assuming fedora server based image has same behavior. And this was done so that devicemapper can be setup out of box properly (no loopback devices). So in this case, setting overlay2 on free space will make more sense.

And fedora atomic-host, falls in same category as fedora server. Only difference is that in atomic host
size of rootfs is much smaller (3G).

In summary, to me being able to go back to devicemapper is important as overlay2 is very new and might not work for all workloads. So keeping docker images/containers on a separate volume will help.
``

To reply, visit the link below or just reply to this email
https://pagure.io/atomic-wg/issue/186