Re: Announcement: Fedora Docker Layered Image Build Service is GO!

On Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 2:52 PM, Igor Gnatenko <ignatenko@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 8:36 PM, Adam Miller
> <maxamillion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> It is with great pleasure that the Fedora Project Announces the availability
>> of the Fedora Docker Layered Image Build Service[0] to the Fedora Contributor
>> Community!
>>
>> With this announcement we are opening availability of the Docker Layered
>> Image Build Service for the Docker Layered Images[1] that the Fedora Cloud
>> SIG[2] has been the primary maintainers[3] of on GitHub into DistGit as
>> official components of Fedora. From there we will be extending an invitation
>> to all Fedora Contributors to maintain Docker Layered Image Containers for
>> official release by the Fedora Project. Currently this effort is to enable
>> the Fedora Cloud/Atomic WG[2] goals which target Fedora Atomic Host[4] as a
>> primary deliverable to power the future of Cloud. This is also to enable the
>> Fedora Modularity[5] work be delivered as Containers in the future as Fedora
>> becomes fundamentally more modular in nature.
>>
>> How do I get started?
>>
>>     Contributors will go through a simliar process as what they currently do
>> with RPM Review Requests. There will be Container Reviews as well as
>> Container Guidelines:
>>
>>     https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Container:Review_Process
>>     https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Container:Guidelines
> Nice job!
>
> I have couple of questions:
> * why "FROM fedora:25", how do I choose version on which I want to
> base container?

The 'FROM fedora:25' line should coordinate with the branch of DistGit
you're working in. Since Docker doesn't have a mechanism like RPMs do
with macros where we can parameterize things like that, we just have
to define it for now (we may later change it to where the 'FROM
fedora:$version' is inferred and something makes a modification to the
Dockerfile before building.

> * is there containers in registry for rawhide?

There are not at this moment, only for Fedora 24 and Fedora 25. I hope
to have rawhide enabled very soon though. The layout of DistGit
branches correlated to Fedora release information fed into the Build
System is something that needs be sorted since "branched" Fedora
Releases have a version number tied to DistGit but Rawhide is
technically f26 right now. I'll update as soon as this is live.

-AdamM