Re: Docker Layered Image Naming and Tagging

On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 08:55:33AM -0500, Adam Miller wrote:
> The main thing that concern I have is that with modularity there is
> going to be a concept of "base runtime" which will have a "generation"
> associated with it (most likely, the "generation" will share a name
> with the Fedora release number it was built from). Containers will be
> built on top of the base runtime and depending on the modules
> requirements, a module may select different generations of the base
> runtime and since there's plans to distribute modules (at least
> optionally) as containers, we'll likely need a way to distinguish
> between "generations" of the base runtime upon which a container was
> built.

*nod* I guess that makes the question mostly whether the generation is
something users need to fundamentally care about, or an insider detail.

> Of course, that might not be something we need to worry about in the
> event that the modularity metadata handles all the book keeping and
> just maps the appropriate information to a specific docker image tag.
> If that ends up being the case, I'd almost just say drop the first
> httpd and make it registry.fedoraproject.org/httpd:latest

I'd hate to make it top-level simply because modularity forgot to
handle this because we forgot to tell them...

Yes. Oh, for @-mentions in email. I'll find someone and bug them.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>