Re: Cloud and Server Q&A

On Tue, Oct 04, 2016 at 09:46:44AM -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> We need to be clear on the difference between considering it important
> for Atomic images to be ready on release day, and being "release
> blockers."  The latter has a very specific meaning as Adam W can
> attest.  Being a deliverable is not the same as being release
> blocking.  This seems like a problem of vocabulary.

Agreed that it's a terminology problem. Things like "catastrophic
infrastructure failure and the getfedora.org website totally doesn't
work" would block the release, but not, as far as I know, be a "release
blocker". (Or some similar example.) This is in some ways similar to
that.

> I think mattdm would agree we don't want to potentially,
> *indefinitely* block a six-month release with a deliverable that can
> be fixed and re-released in two weeks.  That's what "release blocking"
> means.  If it's not ready, the release doesn't go out.  This was an
> overwhelming point in having that two week cycle -- to give more
> flexiblity vs. the standard Fedora release.
>
> Does this mean we shouldn't strive to have Atomic images ready
> day-and-date on GA?  No.  We missed this narrowly in F24, as I recall,
> and we should avoid repeating that, if at all possible.  But let's not
> undermine a major dimension of the two-week release by confusing the
> release-blocker definition.

As we get into the Grand World of Modularity, there's going to be more
and more stuff like this. If the base runtime is updating on a one
month cycle, and GNOME updating whenever the upstream x.y.1 is ready,
and server roles all coming out as each is updated... a "release" is
more a line in the sand than anything else.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>