Proposal to test AMIs using Autocloud

Hi,

I am planning to move the testing functionality to test AMIs from
fedimg to Autocloud. Right now, the fedimg just runs the /bin/true
command to test if the AMIs is proper or not. Therefore, I am planning
to completely remove this functionality from fedimg and move to
Autocloud.

The plan:

1. Once fedimg creates a new AMI. It will be sending out a fedmsg
message with a new topic 'fedimg.ami.create'.
2. Autocloud will be listening to this topic and schedule a testing
for the AMI using Tunir. This process will be completely separate and
will have no overlap with the current process of testing images.
3. If the test passes, Autocloud emits fedmsg message with topic
'ami.passed'. Fedimg listens to this topic and makes that particular
AMI public and copies the AMI to other regions.
4. If the test fails, Autocloud emits fedmsg message with topic
'ami.failed. Fedimg also  listens to this topic and deletes all the
AMis and related resources.

This will give the provision to test the AMIs properly and we can have
a separate dashboard for the same. As soon as deployed, we can run
tests from the current set of testcases we have.

Do share your thoughts or questions on this proposal.

--
Sayan Chowdhury <https://sayanchowdhury.dgplug.org/>
Senior Software Engineer, Fedora Engineering - Emerging Platform

Proud to work at The Open Organization!