Re: No Fedora 24 container?

On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 11:28 AM, Adam Miller
<maxamillion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> My main concern is that we would then introduce a concept of "next"
> that isn't well defined within the Release Engineering vocabulary or
> the Fedora Project at large as any sort of milestone deliverable.
> (Where as in debian land "stable", "testing", and "unstable"/"sid" are
> well defined streams of code/content).
>
> What we could do is release Fedora N+1 at Alpha, Beta, and Final times
> and tag is as N-alpha, N-beta, and then finally just N (and latest).
>
> Example:
>
> Fedora 24 is current stable -> docker image:tag fedora:24 and
> fedora:latest point to this.
>
> Fedora 25 Alpha is released -> push docker image:tag fedora:25-alpha to the Hub
>
> Fedora 25 Beta is released -> push docker image:tag fedora:25-beta to
> the Hub (removing fedora:25-alpha tag)
>
> Fedora 25 GA is released -> push docker image:tag fedora:25 (removing
> the fedora:25-beta tag and update fedora:latest to point to fedora:25)
>
> Fedora Rawhide continues rolling along as it does fedora:rawhide (we
> tend to update this roughly once a month right now)
>
> Thoughts?

So this fits with our engineering processes, I guess, but I'm
considering the end consumer.

If I'm building images and just want to test with "the next release of
Fedora" I don't know I want to be fiddling with the tags continually.
Especially if I'm doing some kind of workflow with CI/CD and just
checking "did something break"? This feels like a lot of manual
fiddling required. We'll also wind up with a LOT of tags on Docker Hub
(can we delete those?).

I'm mostly hypothesizing, though - I would be interested in hearing
from people consuming the images.

> Also, as an aside. Whatever we decide should be brought up with Fedora
> RelEng as a meeting ticket to make sure the proposal is workable from
> a release perspective (though I suspect it will be and will volunteer
> to take that on). I'll also volunteer write up a SOP doc for Fedora
> RelEng Documentation so that this information persists and is well
> defined if there's future questions about it.

+1

Best,

jzb

--