Openshift installation on Fedora cloud with fedora atomic

Hi,

During devconf.cz this year, I was approached by Joe Brockmeier who
wanted my opinion for a project regarding openshift hosting for Fedora
(ie "how much money for servers"). After a few talks to flesh the
proposal (ie, no use to propose anything if that's too expensive), it
was decided that we would first start to see if this could be done on
the Fedora infrastructure with the openstack cloud, then move to
baremetal once we get hosting running (a project named "community cage",
on which I am working on at RH).

This openshift instance would be mostly used as a test, and not to be
used for production workload. So people may expect data lose, downtime
and this kind of stuff. We didn't discuss nor planned to have it moved
in production, as far as i remember the discussion, but it was a while
ago.

While this is something that was asked by the people from the cloud WG,
I will push the discussion for technical setup on the fedora-infra list,
but wanted to give a head up to people here about that being started in
the open (as I didn't see much discussion around it, and was quite busy
in the last months so no time to devote on this).

For the current status of the project, Patrick already created a tenant
on fedora cloud, I did some reading around ansible configuration of
Fedora (hence my serie of patches 2 weeks ago), did my homework of
reading a lot on openshift setup (and did a manual install to see), and
hope to dedicate some time now on the project.

The plan also include to use fedora atomic (at least for some nodes), so
we can get feedback on atomic in a production like environment.

As this was mostly planning discussion around "can we do it", nothing is
set in stone, and I do not remember the details of the proposal, sorry
about that.

I will also try to participate to the meeting this week if people have
questions, but I can also answer by mail on this list.

--
Michael Scherer