Re: Add net.ifnames=0 to Atomic host

On 11/23/2015 09:37 AM, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 20, 2015, at 01:25 PM, Dusty Mabe wrote: >> See attached patch for making atomic host have eth0 be the interface by >> default: > > So this is something like the addition of dracut-network by default > for PXE-to-Live got us networking in the initramfs, which in turn > broke the ifnames change?

I'm not sure what broke it. I'd love to know but don't have time to
look at it further.

> > Your link was only talking about Vagrant, but this change will > affect *all* uses of the cloud image, such as EC2, OpenStack, > etc.

Right, this would affect them all. As you mention below we were
intending for this ("eth0") to be the case for a long time so I
figured we should fix it. You are right that this would be a change
over how we released F23 atomic and it does have implications for
other environments.

Hopefuly testing would identify any issues but you never know what
could crop up.

> > Now, we were clearly *intending* to do this for a long > time, going back to what (I believe) mattdm did with > the original Fedora Cloud image. > > That said, while clearly a number of people just do cloud > instances with one NIC and hence predictable = eth0 is fine, > it's really quite valid to use multiple NICs in any kind of nontrivial > situation.   And once one does that, the rationale > for PIN becomes apparent. > > I admit I'm only a light EC2 user, so I can't comment on > this patch from that angle.  From an OpenStack (specifically > KVM) point of view, one really important thing to note is > that recently virtio-net enumeration order was declared stable: > https://github.com/systemd/systemd/commit/54683f0f9b97a8f88aaf4fbb45b4d729057b101c > Which definitely affects upgrades. > > It's worth noting that *currently* on KVM on Fedora 23 one gets PIN due > to that change, and this would revert it. > > I'd like to explore this vagrant issue more to understand how PIN > is breaking it.

Please do! I'd like other eyes looking at this. I took the initiative
but would love for someone to make it better.

Dusty