Re: Two-Week Atomic actual deliverables

On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 01:02:10PM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> * Vagrant boxes:
>   - same tunir-based test suite in VM environemnt

Followup! Kushal points out that we are testing the KVM vagrant images
in this way, but not testing VirtualBox. (Because we don't have
VirtualBox in Fedora or EPEL, because out-of-tree kernel modules.).
Like the qcow2->ec2 thing, these are the same bits as something that
_is_ autotested, but run in a different environment. Unlike qcow2->ec2,
we aren't even doing a boot test.

Things which could go wrong which I see are:

* some VirtualBox-specific thing with booting an updated kernel or
  grub2 (for example, updated kernel missing some drivers or something
  that VirtualBox needs)

* some corruption or something in the image conversion

These seem mostly unlikely, but far from impossible.

Since VirtualBox is the format the vast majority of Vagrant users will
want, that's... kind of a big deal. *sigh* Options I can see here are:

A) Scramble to find some way to do the VirtualBox testing.

B) Don't publish the VirtualBox images.

C) Publish the VirtualBox images, but put them in a Penalty Box with
   extra warnings

Any other ideas? Preferences? B seems the most responsible, yet also
the most sad. A would be highly unusual for our infrastructure. C could
expose us to looking bad if support breaks and no one notices.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>