Re: Fedora 22 is out, Fedora 23 is coming :)

On Tue, Jun 2, 2015 at 8:19 AM, Matt Micene <nzwulfin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm curious about the drive to make the "base cloud image" as small as
> possible and remove things like the Python stack.  It could be that I've got
> a terminology issue (which also could be the case) tracking threads.
>
> What's the expected use of the "base cloud image"?  The relevant download
> page states:
> "Everything you need, and nothing you don't."
> "images for creating general purpose virtual machines (VMs)"
>
> The drive to a small as possible and stripped down base image doesn't make
> sense to me in that context.  General purpose compute for a modern system
> would include things like dnf, python, full logging capabilities, without a
> need to add a large number of packages.
>
> If the drive to make the base image as small as possible is for docker
> containers (as I've seen in other threads), there already exists a Docker
> Base image.
>
> What is base functionality in a container isn't the same as base
> functionality for a general purpose system in AWS or OpenStack.
>
> I guess I'm saying I'd like to be clear when we are talking about Cloud Base
> vs Docker Base and make sure the relationship between them is clear and the
> goals for each are clear.  Especially where changes could harm adoption
> (Cloud Images without Python in AWS would be bad ).
>
> -Matt M

There are two-and-a-half "Cloud" images:
1. Docker Base: this is a "minimum viable Fedora" and is usually run
via 'docker pull' from Docker Hub, where it goes by the name
'docker.io/fedora:22'. Currently it's 186.5 MB. It has dnf, which
depends on Python. I don't think you can remove Python but I believe
there are no Perl or Ruby dependencies in it.
2. Cloud Base: this lives in a Platform-as-a-Service environment and
IIRC is a stripped-down Server. It can host containers but IIRC it can
do more. I've never used Cloud Base but I'm pretty sure it has dnf and
Python.
2.5. Project Atomic: this was released in Fedora 22 but the project
team has decoupled from Fedora's main six-month cycle in favor of a
faster two-week release cycle. It uses rpm-ostree to manage RPMs
rather than dnf so it may not need Python. It's mainly for hosting
Docker containers, and its main end user is the OpenShift
Platform-as-a-Service.

So I don't think there's any risk that an AWS Fedora won't have
Python. However, I believe there's a move to guarantee that all
Python-dependent software runs with Python 3 and only the Python 3
runtime is present on Fedora Cloud products.