Re: cloud image network config, virtio-net, libvirt autodetection, and network vs NetworkManager, F20 vs F21

On Sun, 23 Nov 2014 10:57:51 -0500
Colin Walters <walters@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> TL;DR:
>
> KB, I think the CentOS cloud images should use:
> https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/spin-kickstarts.git/commit/?h=f21&id=98c48cb2b2051cc8ca81e95a697e4c8d7c5bd939
>
> Dennis, we should revert:
> https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/spin-kickstarts.git/commit/?h=f21&id=5ae38874c7c69057abd41850ad3ca27cd967fa18

I do not remember the exact details but link was not working for some
reason. we can change rawhide but should not change f21 at this point.

> Longer story:
>
> I tried the CentOS 7 GenericCloud image:
> http://cloud.centos.org/centos/7/devel/
> and it didn't have networking on boot.  Let's look at the actors:
>
> - A base cloud image: Fedora 20, Fedora 21, CentOS 7
> - Network configuration: As specified in the kickstart
> - A network driver: virtio-net, rtl8139
> - virt-install guest autodetection:  Determines whether or not you
> get virtio-net
> - network system (or NetworkManager, or systemd-networkd)
> - systemd:
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2014-July/020906.html
> - Anaconda/kickstart behavior
>
> First, let's look at the current F20:
> https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/spin-kickstarts.git/tree/fedora-cloud-base.ks?h=f20#n26
>
> It hardcodes eth0. And the version of systemd there uses eth0 for
> virtio-net.
>
> Now, let's look at some changes Dennis committed in the F21 cycle:
>
> ens3:
> https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/spin-kickstarts.git/commit/?h=f21&id=e1778df1fe1a035b21085023996c58ecbf3be378
>
> link:
> https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/spin-kickstarts.git/commit/?h=f21&id=98c48cb2b2051cc8ca81e95a697e4c8d7c5bd939
>
> eth0 (but only for atomic):
> https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/spin-kickstarts.git/commit/?h=f21&id=5ae38874c7c69057abd41850ad3ca27cd967fa18

These were committed because things kept changing in the guests. it was
all break fix. which is the only time I touch the non arm kickstarts.
Sending patches slows down the testing process and is not tenable. you
should watch the commits on spin-kickstarts list where all commits are
sent if you care to follow the changes.

> (Dennis and others, can you send patches to the list for review?
> This issue would have been more obvious if I'd noticed the changes
> going by)
>
> A really critical variable here is whether or not libvirt guest
> autodetection works.  Currently:
>
> libvirt automatically provides virtio-net: Fedora 20, Fedora 21
> Generic libvirt gives you rtl8193: Fedora 21 Atomic, CentOS 7
>
> It took me a while to figure out here that the reason the CentOS 7
> image wasn't working was becuase of the libvirt autodetection.

the network autodetection is broken and systemd's predictable naming
actually makes it unpredicatable in the cloud/vm use cases.we probably
should explicitly turn it off in the boot arguments.