Re: proposal: Fedora Cloud Experimental image/spin?

On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 10:43 PM, Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> So, we've got the traditional Cloud Base image, and the focused Fedora
> Atomic image. (Plus of course the Big Data one, which will build on top of
> Cloud Base.)
>
> What if we also have a Fedora Cloud Experimental image? This would be only
> rawhide nightlies, with no other releases. And it'd be a place where we
> could try out not-ready-for-prime-time ideas like the alternate metadata
> services and networkd.
>
> I thought that the Fedora Atomic image would serve this role, but as I'm
> thinking about it, and especially as we get closer to actually having
> "production" releases of that, I think that while it'll probably _get_ those
> experimental things sooner, there's enough going on with Atomic itself that
> it'd be better to have a separate place to do the actual experimenting.
>
> What do you think?

A strong +0 from me. I see what you want to do and don't think it's a
bad idea. But there's often competing ideas of which only one could
make it into such an image. So either it should be easily possible to
create additional ones (let's say we want to keep the 3-4 cloud-init
alternatives available for a while) or ... well, whatever.

If people think, it's a good idea, sure, do it. But currently I'd
think it's rather a waste of resources as I still have to build images
of my own to look at technologies that compete what's in the current
experimental image.

-- Sandro